Key Changes & Updates for COVID-19 Support (NSW & VIC)
We have clarified some of the information surrounding the recently announced government support packages with the various measures available to eligible NSW and VIC based individuals and businesses.
Here are the most recent and important changes & updates;
COVID-19 Disaster Payment
- Services Australia have confirmed that you don’t have to access your annual leave before applying for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment even if you have it available to you. However, you can’t claim the payment if you’re already on annual leave.
- Sole traders may apply for COVID-19 Disaster Payment if they are unable to operate business from home. However, they will not be eligible if they are also receiving a state business grant such as the NSW 2021 COVID-19 Business Grant
2021 COVID-19 Business Grant
- Service NSW has updated the decline in turnover test dates from 27 May 2021 to 26 July 2021, to 27 May 2021 to 17 July 2021 on their website after it crashed yesterday!
- Assuming all other eligibility criteria are satisfied, the grant is available if a business has experienced a decline in turnover of at least 30% over a minimum 2-week period between these updated dates from 26 June 2021 to 17 July 2021, compared to the same period in 2019.
- However, a different comparison period can be used for businesses and not-for profits on the NSW border with Victoria impacted by lockdown orders that began on 27 May 2021. These entities need to demonstrate a decline in turnover of at least 30% over a minimum 2-week period from 27 May 2021 to 17 July 2021, compared to the same period in May and/or June and/or July 2019.
- Entities that cannot meet the basic decline in turnover test might still be eligible for the grant, but would need to contact Service NSW to discuss the situation. This could be relevant for entities that commenced business after July 2019 but can demonstrate that they have been significantly impacted by lockdown orders.
- We have further clarified the definition of who is included in headcount for the NSW Business Grant.
- Eligible Victorian based individuals can access the Federal Government’s COVID-19 Disaster Payment (as above)
- We expect to have an update on further measures to financially support eligible Victorian businesses in the coming days – keep an eye on your inbox for the latest announcements
Check out all these updates & more on our COVID-19 Support Hub.